Monday, April 16, 2007

Fool Proofing the Baby Shower

I pretty much couldn't love these baby shower plates more--they're modern, simple, and totally cute! They are available at showerherbaby.
If I don't go with a nesting theme, I might go with a pampering theme (I'm not going to tell guests what to bring as gifts or anything), but it would be fun to make scaled-down diaper bags like the ones above for party favors and fill them with lavender and small bars of soap that resemble diapers, or just candy (not both because no one wants candy that tastes a little like lavender when it shouldn't). The bags themselves will be pretty easy to make (you can purchase them for $15-$17 each, which is a bit much when I'm expecting 20-30 people), I'm not so sure about the hanger, that's going to be a trickier matter--anyone know where I can buy little hangers?
If we play any games (which I am oh so wary about), the prizes could be a massage (my neighbor gives them out of her house so I'm sure I could arrange a gift certificate), little spa kits (this could get really expensive), nail polish (that wouldn't be too costly), etc. So what do you think--nesting theme or pampering theme? Still no word on if the baby is a boy or a girl, but I'll take any ideas you have on invites. Less is more in my book, so nothing that's going to overwork me too much.
I know this is so dorky of me, but I'm already trying out recipes for the brunch and I found a definite winner: Lemon Dipped Blueberry Muffins--I've already made them twice this week and finally had Noah take them to work with him so I'd stop eating them. Here's the recipe:
  • 1 3/4 C flour
  • 1/2 C + 1/2 C sugar divided
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, well beaten
  • 1/3 C vegetable oil
  • 3/4 C milk
  • 1 C fresh blueberries washed and dried (I used frozen and that worked great too)
  • 2 tsp grated lemon rind (1 lemon)
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
  • juice of 1 lemon (the recipe calls for 1/4 tsp lemon juice, but I preferred a lot more)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the flour with 1/2 C of the sugar, the baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center. Combine the egg, oil and milk. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Toss the blueberries with 2 Tbsp of sugar and the lemon rind. Fold into the batter. Fill muffin papers or greased muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

While the muffins bake, prepare the topping by mixing the melted butter and lemon juice. Dip the warm muffins in the butter mixture, then in sugar. Note: I forgot to take a picture of them last night, and couldn't find a picture to do them justice--just know they look even better than that picture.

Makes 14 muffins.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those the muffins you were making when I picked up Misha?

By the way, you may want to look at my last couple of blog posts: Life goes on and A quick report on San Diego. I'd love to get your reactions.

Kaila said...

they are indeed--you should have stuck around!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can make them again? (Pretty please?) We're planning on coming on Thursday, by the way, probably 6:30 if that works for you.

mirjam said...

I have a shower game that is kind of fun. The baby shower candy bar memory. I have it here if you are intersted. All you have to get are the candy bars.

Kaila said...

Does the game involve diapers and melted candy bars?

Anonymous said...

I remember all those baby showers I used to do. The personalized invitations with tie-dyed string making a beautiful bow on each one; the petit fours I would spend days laboring over getting the lemon zest just right; the chocolate souffles it took me months to really master; the napkins I'd personalize with tole-painted pictures of Bambi (not Bambi looking for her just-shot mother, but Bambi playing with Thumper); the music I'd compose for the mother-to-be and play on my silver-plated kazoo. Oh, those were the days. How I miss them!! Dear Factotum, enjoy them while you can! They pass so quickly, and before you know it, you can't remember a damn thing.

Anonymous said...

Or you start making it all up.

By the way, dear factotum, those were GOOD muffins. Thank you!

Kaila said...

Mom: I must have already entered the stage of life where I "don't remember a damn thing" because I sure as hell don't remember any of those baby showers--did you have another family you didn't tell me about?

Anonymous said...

Oh wait a minute! That wasn't me, it was Martha Stewart! Dang, this menopause is worse than I thought!