Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Balloons for Nie Nie

Saturday August 16th, Tragedy hit someone I've known for a good part of my life. I knew her as Stephanie Clark, her married name is Staphanie Nielson, the blogging world knows her as Nie Nie . She, her husband and flight instructor Doug Kinneard were in a plane crash (for the news report you can go to ksl). All three were able to get out of the plane. Doug passed away shortly after due to injuries. Currently, Stephanie and her husband Christian are in critical condition (Stephanie has burns over 80% of her body and Christian has burns over 30% of his).


Despite the major event of this last week (having a baby), I have not been able to get Stephanie off my mind. I check her update every day, I've been reading the back logs of her blog (which are truly inspirational--there's a woman who is madly in love with her husband and who adores her 4 kids and her role as their mother). It's caused me to reevaluate my own life--how can I be a better mom and a better wife?

The amazing thing about this has been the community and the blogger response. This last Saturday (3 days after delivering Oliver), I attended a balloon send-off in honor of Stephanie and Christian where people put wishes in balloons and sent them off (a Nielson birthday tradition).


Tomorrow (which officially starts in less than an hour) has been declared by Designmom (and hence the blogging world) as Nie Nie Day where numerous bloggers are holding silent auctions with the proceeds going to the Nie recovery fund. I've posted a button on my side bar where you can link to a donation site. You can also visit Nie Recovery to find out other ways of helping or to find out about the silent auctions. The family is asking for prayers and fasting, but as the medical bills will be well into the millions, all donations are welcome.

If you're feeling the need to do some good, here's one great opportunity!

Note: I've posted 3 blogs today, so to read about our newest addition Oliver, or about Gabby's first day of 1st grade, scroll down.

4 comments:

Gretch said...

I'm totally crying reading this post. I can't imagine what they are all going through. And with 4 young children! My prayers go out to your friend and her family.

Max Power said...

Heather posted on her quilt blog about this today. I find it amazing what a small world it is when it comes to this story. You know NieNie, Susan knows her brother, Heather reads her blog.

I'd never heard of her until I read it on a blog last Monday, but the story has touched me none the less. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

The Wright's said...

Oh How sad!! I am so sorry to hear about that poor family. Our thought go out to them in their time of need.

Anonymous said...

I served my mission with her husband... I am shocked... My thoughts and prayers are with them..

Brian Smiley