Friday, October 06, 2006

When I let Brunhilda Out

In answer to a comment posted by older singer regarding when I find time to sing, I have to say it's a difficult task. My 4 year-old hates it when I sing because it means I'm not focusing on her (I refuse to believe that it's the opera she hates); however, my one-year-old loves it.

Ironically, I am currently using my allotted "singing time" to blog because my 4 year-old informed me that I'm too loud and she can't sleep (isn't singing supposed to be soothing?). Once the kids are out for the night though, I've found that I can usually sing for a good hour without being interrupted (there are some perks to living a block away from the train tracks--my kids sleep through anything).

2 comments:

Kaila said...

I've actually decided on my Halloween costume (finally), so would you mind if I borrow your Viking costume since it doesn't fit you any more?

Garry Wilmore said...

Doggone it, why couldn't you have been MY mother? Even as a little kid, I could have thrived on exposure to opera singing. In fact, my dad used to have a 45-rpm record of two arias performed by Mario Lanza; on one side was "Vesti la giubba" from "I Pagliacci," and on the other, "La donna e' mobile" from "Rigoletto." I played that 45 over and over and over again when I was about 9, but my father finally took it away from me -- not because he was tired of hearing those arias constantly, but because he was afraid I was wearing out the record by playing it so much.