Friday, October 06, 2006

When I let Brunhilda Out

In answer to a comment posted by older singer regarding when I find time to sing, I have to say it's a difficult task. My 4 year-old hates it when I sing because it means I'm not focusing on her (I refuse to believe that it's the opera she hates); however, my one-year-old loves it.

Ironically, I am currently using my allotted "singing time" to blog because my 4 year-old informed me that I'm too loud and she can't sleep (isn't singing supposed to be soothing?). Once the kids are out for the night though, I've found that I can usually sing for a good hour without being interrupted (there are some perks to living a block away from the train tracks--my kids sleep through anything).

4 comments:

older singer said...

Where did you get that picture of me? I thought I had hidden it.

older singer said...

P.S.--do you enjoy dressing up in Viking Clothes when you sing? I find that it makes the singing much more authentic than when I'm wearing jeans. However, it does tend to frighten the neighborhood children. Have you had any similar experiences?

Factotum said...

I've actually decided on my Halloween costume (finally), so would you mind if I borrow your Viking costume since it doesn't fit you any more?

Garry Wilmore said...

Doggone it, why couldn't you have been MY mother? Even as a little kid, I could have thrived on exposure to opera singing. In fact, my dad used to have a 45-rpm record of two arias performed by Mario Lanza; on one side was "Vesti la giubba" from "I Pagliacci," and on the other, "La donna e' mobile" from "Rigoletto." I played that 45 over and over and over again when I was about 9, but my father finally took it away from me -- not because he was tired of hearing those arias constantly, but because he was afraid I was wearing out the record by playing it so much.