Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Perfect Salad for a Winter Day


Red-Apple Walnut Salad (it's pretty awesome)--it actually looks prettier than the picture I got off of google, I didn't have time to photograph the salad for my blog, sorry. Here's the recipe:
  • 4 red apples, coarsely chopped (sprinkle them with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning)
  • Mixed salad greens
  • 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese (optional but fantastic if you have a sophisticated palate)
  • 3/4 C pomegranate seeds or Craisins
  • Candied walnuts (directions follow)
  • Winter salad dressing (directions follow)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with desired amount of dressing. Lightly toss.

Winter Salad Dressing:

  • 1/2 C red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced

In a 1-quart jar, combine all dressing ingredients; shake vigorously. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Dressing can be made a week in advance. Makes about 2 cups.

Candied Walnuts:

  • 1 C walnuts
  • 1/4 C sugar

Cook almonds and sugar in a non-stick frying pan on low heat until sugar melts. Cool walnuts on wax paper.

1 comment:

Kaila said...

I've heard that, I better stock up on my tangellos--they're my favorite!