- 4 red apples, coarsely chopped (sprinkle them with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning)
- Mixed salad greens
- 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese (optional but fantastic if you have a sophisticated palate)
- 3/4 C pomegranate seeds or Craisins
- Candied walnuts (directions follow)
- Winter salad dressing (directions follow)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with desired amount of dressing. Lightly toss.
Winter Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 C red wine vinegar
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
In a 1-quart jar, combine all dressing ingredients; shake vigorously. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Dressing can be made a week in advance. Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 C walnuts
- 1/4 C sugar
Cook almonds and sugar in a non-stick frying pan on low heat until sugar melts. Cool walnuts on wax paper.