Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Perfect Salad for a Winter Day


Red-Apple Walnut Salad (it's pretty awesome)--it actually looks prettier than the picture I got off of google, I didn't have time to photograph the salad for my blog, sorry. Here's the recipe:
  • 4 red apples, coarsely chopped (sprinkle them with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning)
  • Mixed salad greens
  • 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese (optional but fantastic if you have a sophisticated palate)
  • 3/4 C pomegranate seeds or Craisins
  • Candied walnuts (directions follow)
  • Winter salad dressing (directions follow)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with desired amount of dressing. Lightly toss.

Winter Salad Dressing:

  • 1/2 C red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced

In a 1-quart jar, combine all dressing ingredients; shake vigorously. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Dressing can be made a week in advance. Makes about 2 cups.

Candied Walnuts:

  • 1 C walnuts
  • 1/4 C sugar

Cook almonds and sugar in a non-stick frying pan on low heat until sugar melts. Cool walnuts on wax paper.

2 comments:

older singer said...

Note that the perfect salad for THIS winter day should include oranges, avocados, grapes and anything else that will freeze in California over the next week. Prices are going to skyrocket.
I've tasted this salad, btw, and it is superb.

Factotum said...

I've heard that, I better stock up on my tangellos--they're my favorite!